[R6RS] scripts -> programs -> top-level programs

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Mon Jan 8 04:16:57 EST 2007

I've committed a new programs.tex which replaces scripts.tex, and
updated r6rs.tex to include it.  It's section 7 in the latest draft.

There's a difference in terminology compared to the description given in
formal response #51.  That response said that "the current specification
of Scheme 'scripts' will be replaced by a definition of Scheme
'programs'."  However, the terms "program" and "Scheme program" is
already used in a different way in the report, e.g. in "Programs and
Libraries" (section 4.1 in the latest draft).

Because of this, and also to avoid ambiguities that occur when using the
term "program" without qualification, I've intead used the term
"top-level program" in section 7.

This fits quite naturally with existing text, e.g. the opening of 4.1
will become:

"A Scheme program consists of a /top-level program/ together with a set
of /libraries/..."

This is a change from what the formal response described.  If anyone has
any objections to this term or wants to suggest a different one, let me
know.

Later on Monday, I hope to commit a version of the threatened appendix
which specifies scripts.

Anton