[R6RS] my notes on today's conference call (24 August 2006)
William D Clinger
will at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Aug 24 10:14:12 EDT 2006
August 24 2006 8:00am-10:00am EDT
All present by 8:03am EDT:
Kent, Will, Mike, Anton, Matthew
0. finalize agenda (1 minute)
1. action items from 8/22/2006 (5 minutes)
- revise I/O port SRFI with read-time transcoder arguments (Will)
- carried over:
- revise safety paragraphs (Will)
- note: reserve last week of August (THIS WEEK) for proofreading
2. Report status (5 minutes)
- items ready for review
<item> <editor> <to be completed by> <done?>
unicode Matthew Aug. 03 done.
quasiquote Kent Aug. 08 done.
letrec* Kent Aug. 08 done.
let-values & let*-values Kent Aug. 08 done.
records Kent Aug. 24
enumerations Will Jul. 12 done.
bytes Will Aug. 03 done.
equal? Will Aug. 01 done.
list-library Anton Aug. 21 done?
case-lambda Anton Aug. 21 done?
when & unless Anton Aug. 08 done.
arithmetic Will Aug. 22
set-car!, set-cdr! Anton Aug. 21 done?
condition-type details Anton Aug. 21
dynamic-wind Kent Aug. 15 done.
read-syntax, syn. forms Matthew Aug. 20 done.
hash tables Anton Aug. 24
safe/unsafe mode Kent Aug. ?? (waiting for Will)
- items not ready for review
exceptions & conditions (done; reviewed by Matthew weeks ago)
r5rs compatibility library
3. I/O (20 minutes)
- accept transcoder change?
need to query transcoder from stdio, therefore all ports
(define (read-char port)
(get-char port (port-locale-transducer port)))
Yes: Will, Kent,
No: Matthew, Mike
Matthew moved we accept the transcoder change as amended above.
Yes: Will, Kent, Matthew
Abstain: Mike, Anton
- what happens with illegal byte sequences during textual i/o?
raise a specific continuable exception (default)
except specific transcoders can specify
ignoring or replacement semantics
See email of 21 July 2006
Will moves we accept Mike's proposal of 21 July
with semantics of the continuation to be worked out.
Yes: Will, Kent, Matthew, Anton, Mike
- flush or keep update-transcoder?
Mike moves we add accessors and pin down eqv? semantics.
Kent moved we flush update-transcoder and make
transcoder into a three-argument procedure
make-transcoder with three arguments (two
optional): codec, eol, errors.
yes: Mike, Kent, Anton
abstain: Will, Matthew
- can lookahead-u8 or get-u8 return something other than eof if
the last operation on the port was a lookahead-u8 that returned
eof but the underlying file/object was extended in the meantime?
Kent moved that read-char may return end-of-file
and then return something else.
yes: Kent, Matthew, Anton, Mike
Kent moved that if lookahead-whatever returns
an end-of-file object, then the next call
must also return end-of-file.
yes: Matthew, Mike, Kent
abstain: Will, Anton
Kent moved that if an exception is raised while reading
a multibyte character because the character is
incomplete, a subsequent call is not *required* to
raise an exception
yes: Will, Kent, Matthew, Anton
- must lookahead-u8 or get-u8 return eof if the last operation on the
port was a lookahead-u8 that returned eof but the underlying
file/object was extended in the meantime?
yes; see above
- must lookahead-u8 or get-u8 raise an excption if the last operation
on the port was a lookahead-u8 that raised an exception due to
insufficient bytes but the underlying file/object was extended in the
no; see above
- add clear-output-port?
- add clear-input-port (possibly as flush-input-port)?
no one much cares, and more important issues await
- should get-line recognize the Unicode line separator in adition to
the specified or default end-of-line convention? Should it recognize
all common conventions even if they aren't the current one?
Will moved that get-line be required to recognize
line separator in addition to what eol-style is
specified by the transcoder
yes: Will, Kent, Matthew, Anton, Mike
Will moved that get-line be allowed to recognize
other conventions in addition to the eol-style
specified by the transcoder
Motion fails for lack of a second
- do we want to translate different end-of-line conventions to linefeed?
- add open-bytes-output-port, get-output-bytes, open-string-output-port,
Kent moved we add them
motion passes without objection
Does get-output-string clear the output?
No, it does not implicitly clear the output.
Kent will propose a new procedure that clears the output.
4. Core/library split (20 minutes)
- number and size of libraries to be described by R6RS
- size of "mimimal language" presented by document
- congruence between R6RS document and R6RS libraries
general discussion of above issues;
we have only 1 week left
- hierarchies and something like Java's wild card syntax?
- do wildcards apply outside of r6rs hierarchy?
5. adjourned at 10:05am EDT
More information about the R6RS