[R6RS] Changing the transcoding mid-stream

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Aug 24 07:40:18 EDT 2006

Mike asked:
> How do you read text from (standard-input-port) if it's not in UTF-8?

(get-line (standard-input-port) transcoder-of-choice)

All of the procedures that perform textual input take
a transcoder as an optional argument.

Here are some issues I'd like to discuss during this
morning's telephone conference:

What did/will we decide to do about illegal byte sequences
during textual I/O?

Do we really want to translate different end-of-line
conventions to linefeeds?

Should get-line recognize the Unicode line separator
in addition to the specified or default end-of-line
convention?  Should it recognize all common conventions
even if they aren't the current one?