[R6RS] I/O <-> GC question

Michael Sperber sperber
Tue Nov 23 13:56:12 EST 2004

Will> I guess I don't understand your question.  You spoke of making i/o
Will> buffers stationary in memory.  If you are not proposing to expose
Will> these i/o buffers as Scheme objects, then there is certainly no
Will> justification for a programmer-visible MAKE-I/O-BUFFER-BYTE-VECTOR
Will> procedure that allocates these unexposed objects.

Let me repeat it (Kent answered it very precisely):

In order to create a byte-vector-like object that doesn't get moved by
the GC, are there GC implementation strategies that require me to use
a type disjoint from movable byte vectors?

(And the next question would be whether I need to say at allocation
whether the vector shouldn't be moved, or whether it's a settable
property of the vector.)

(Kent says probably not.)