[R6RS] modules?

Michael Sperber sperber
Sat May 22 12:11:31 EDT 2004

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> writes:

Matthew> I remain convinced that MzScheme's `module' is compatible
Matthew> with a low-overhead component system, but I can't point to an
Matthew> implementation.

I should mention that MzScheme comes with a poor-man's version
already: You can just set the PLTCOLLECTS environment variable,
changing the "module environment" a piece of code runs under.  This
does most of what I think I want.

However, I'd say that, for R6RS, it would be desirable to establish
some kind of global namespace for libraries so that combining several
sets of libraries doesn't lead to conflict.  If we did this, achieving
poor man's parametricity via some PLTCOLLECTS-like mechanism becomes
harder, and would probably require a separately configurable mapping
of global names to actual implementations.  Which would be too awkward
for my taste.

I haven't found a good way out of this dilemma, which is why I'm
bringing up the issue.