[R6RS] Library / filesystem mapping

R. Kent Dybvig dyb at cs.indiana.edu
Fri May 18 09:21:50 EDT 2007

I have an aversion to .scm, which I've heard pronounced "scum" too many
times.  When this happens, it reflects poorly on the language and/or
programs written in it.

Although I like the extension .ss, it might actually be better to choose
an extension not in common use so that Scheme systems can potentially do
something different with library files, like enter a different editing or
compilation mode, if the implementor so desires.

How about .sls for "Scheme Library Source"?

What will the name of the file (last pathname component) actually be?  Say
for (r6rs io simple (6)), are you envsioning one of the following:

  rnrs/io/simple/6.sls
  rnrs/io/6/simple.sls

or something different?  I think I prefer the latter myself.