[R6RS] safe and unsafe; declarations

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Mar 2 15:15:48 EST 2006

Here are some changes and new proposals that came out of
yesterday's telephone conversation.

To allow macros to expand into a set of definitions that
are governed by an accompanying declaration, the R5RS
syntax for <body> and <declaration> should change to

      | (begin <declaration>* <definition>*)

Declarations at the very beginning of a <body> would apply
to the entire <body>.  Declarations that occur with a
definition of the form (begin <declaration>* <definition>*)
would apply only to the definitions in that form.

We have agreed to get rid of inline and type declarations.
The safety quality has been renamed to safe, and the word
safe by itself may now be used as synonym for (safe 3).
As before, unsafe is a synonym for (safe 0).  The revised
proposal for declaration syntax is

<declaration> --> (declare <declarespec>*)
<declarespec> --> unsafe
                | safe | (safe <priority>)
                | fast | (fast <priority>)
                | small | (small <priority>)
                | debug | (debug <priority>)
<priority> --> 0 | 1 | 2 | 3

For safe, the default priority must be 1 or higher.
When the priority for safe is 1 or higher, implementations
must raise all required exceptions and let them handled
by the usual R6RS exception mechanism.

Beyond that, the detailed interpretation of declarations
will vary in different implementations.  In particular,
implementations are free to ignore declarations, and
may observe some declarations while ignoring others.

(Thus a safe declaration that occurs within the scope
of an unsafe declaration may not have any effect.)

The following descriptions of each quality may provide
some guidance for programmers and implementors.

safe
====

This quality's priority influences the degree of checking
for exceptional situations, and the raising and handling
of exceptions in response to those situations.  The higher
the priority, the more likely an exception will be raised.

At priority 0, an implementation is allowed to use exception
handlers that ignore even required exceptions and continue
the computation with an incorrect result, or to use handlers
that terminate the computation in an unpleasant fashion.

At priority 1 and higher, an implementation must raise all
exceptions required by the R6RS, handle those exceptions
using the exception mechanism described by the R6RS, and use
the default exception handlers described by the R6RS.

At higher priorities, implementations may be more likely to
raise exceptions that are allowed but not required by the
R6RS.

Most implementations are able to recognize some violations
when parsing, expanding macros, or compiling a definition
or expression whose evaluation has not yet commenced in
the usual sense.  Implementations are allowed to use
nonstandard exception handlers at those times, and are
encouraged to raise &lexical and &syntax exceptions for
violations detected at those times, even if the definition
or expression that contains the violation will never be
executed.  Implementations are also allowed to raise a
&warning exception at those times if they determine that
some subexpression would inevitably raise some kind of
&violation exception were it ever to be evaluated.

fast
====

This quality's priority influences the speed of the code
it governs.  At high priorities, the code is likely to
run faster, but this improvement is constrained by other
qualities and may come at the expense of the small and
debug qualities.

small
=====

This quality's priority influences the amount of computer
memory needed to represent and to run the code.  At high
priorities, the code is likely to occupy less memory and
to require less memory during evaluation.

debug
=====

This quality's priority influences the programmer's ability
to debug the code.  At high priorities, the programmer is
more likely to understand the correspondence between the
original source code and information displayed by debugging
tools.  At low priorities, some debugging tools may not be
usable.

                                * * *

The condition hierarchy I assumed for the foregoing looks
like this (with tree structure implied by indentation):

&condition
  &message
    &warning
  &serious
    &error
      &implementation-restriction
    &violation
      &nonstandard
      &defect
        &lexical
        &syntax
        &domain
        &result

This is compatible with SRFI 35, contrary to what I wrote
a few days ago.