[R6RS] Document endgame

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Thu Aug 24 11:11:17 EDT 2006

Michael Sperber wrote:
> - Is there any coherent description of "convenience I/O" somewhere?
>   Is it the identical to the set of I/O procedures provided with the
>   R5RS compatibility library?

In the core/library split proposal, the library named "simple-i/o" (in
draft/corelib/library-contents.html) is supposed to serve this purpose,
and the procedures it contains are all intended to be identical to their
R5RS equivalents.  For reference, here's the list - note that it was
never specifically ratified by all the editors:

call-with-input-file, call-with-output-file, current-input-port,
current-output-port, display, newline, open-input-file,
open-output-file, peek-char, port?, read, read-char,
with-input-from-file, with-output-to-file, write, write-char

In the latest hierarchical version of the proposal (in email), this
library is named (r6rs i/o simple).

> - Does the R5RS compatibility library consist of "all of R5RS" (minus
>   what we're not going to include), or just what we zapped of R5RS?

My vote, and what is included in the "r5rs-compatibility" library in
library-contents.html, is to only include those procedures that were
zapped by R6RS, and that aren't in the convenience I/O library.  If
someone wants an "all of R5RS" library, they can construct that, but I
don't think it's the responsibility of R6RS to provide that.

For reference, the procedures I specified in r5rs-compatibility are:

exact->inexact, inexact->exact, modulo, null-environment, quotient,
remainder, scheme-report-environment

Anton