[R6RS] R6RS Unicode SRFI controversial issues

Anton van Straaten anton
Sat Jun 18 03:12:58 EDT 2005

I'm in full agreement with all of Kent's points below.

In particular, support for newlines in strings, without a preceding
backslash, is very useful for embedding code in other languages (SQL,
Javascript, etc.)

I notice that Bigloo, Chez, Gambit, Guile, MIT, PLT, Scheme 48, SCM and
SISC all support this now:

"Multi-line strings
are common
practice"
=> "Multi-line strings\nare common\npractice"

If a programmer finds either approach easier to read, they're free to
choose that approach, i.e. it's a stylistic choice for the programmer.
That's preferable to having the standard impose a single solution for
all cases, since each is appropriate in different circumstances.

BTW, if Scheme supported something like a "here document", as in sh,
bash or perl (http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/here-docs.html), then
ordinary strings could be more constrained.  I'm guessing we don't want
to go that far at this point, though.

The rest of the proposal is fine with me.

Anton