[R6RS] R6RS Unicode SRFI controversial issues

dyb at cs.indiana.edu dyb
Fri Jun 17 21:03:03 EDT 2005

> ...  Note that if we specify that
> whitespace is ignored after \<newline>, we probably have to adopt the
> \<space> escape (which would expand to a single space character) so
> that the continuation line can start with a space, ...

I agree that we should allow the \<space> escape, especially for cases
like this:

    (display "That is, I prefer:\n\
             \   spaces at the beginning of the line when\n\
             \   that's where they are supposed to end up\n")

    (display "That is, I prefer:\n   \
              spaces at the beginning of the line when\n   \
              that's where they are supposed to end up.\n")

> >   I'd prefer that we not disallow newlines in
> > strings, but don't feel strongly about it.
> >

> I'm OK with that.  However, newlines are not allowed in C strings,
> and the obligation to break strings on multiple lines with \<newline>
> makes multiline strings somewhat easier to parse for humans (i.e. you
> have a visual clue at the end of the lines that this text is in a
> multiline string).

C doesn't support some of the other things you've proposed, either.
In any case, ...

(display "\
If I've got some text to print out,\
I'd prefer not to have slashes at the end\
of each line.  They get in the way visually\
and are a nuisance if I need to reformat\
the text.\
")

> Octal is dead.  ...

I'm fine leaving the \o syntax out.

> > I would like for all characters to be followd by a delimiter, so that,
> > for example, #\s3 is an error.  Requiring all characters to be
> > delimited
> > also helps leave open future extensions.
> >

> Fine by me.  Do you also mean that #\(foo and #\ foo are errors?
> That too is fine by me.

Yes.  It seems less confusing to require all characters to be delimited.