[R6RS] modules

Michael Sperber sperber
Sun Jan 9 09:20:02 EST 2005

Marc> How can you criticize me for not contributing much to the
Marc> discussion and at the same time admit to having moved the
Marc> discussion to private exchanges which I was not privy to.  This
Marc> is outrageous.

I'm sorry---it wasn't my intention to criticize you, just point out
that this discussion is too important and too hairy to be amenable to
voting on the two approaches.  The opinions of some of the editors are
pretty clear, but not of all others.  My intention was to invite you
to participate, and hearing what you have to say.

Marc> If you and other editors have evidence to the contrary please
Marc> speak up now, and please use the mailing list or twiki for
Marc> future discussions.

There's plenty of evidence that Matthew, Kent and myself have formed
opinions on where the modules should go, and that there's considerable
confusion among the others about what even the issues are.

I have been working on a document for the Twiki, and since my primary
intention was to represent the positions of Kent and Matthew as
accurately as possible, the discussions about this aren't really
material for the mailing list.

Having said that, I have to admit to being completely confused as to
how you want discussions to be conducted.  I disagree with your idea
of holding discussions on the Twiki itself.  I disagree with forcing
this issue by having a vote on completely muddled ground, with no
coherent write-up even about what the pertinent questions are.  I
believe the resulting decision is likely to be of poor quality, and a
disservice to the community.  I'm also increasingly unconvinced that
the way to resolve is to just choose between the two proposals.  This
issue, if anything, deserves further discussion at a physical meeting,
and there's plenty of other important decisions we can until then.