[R6RS] Re: strawman module syntax

R. Kent Dybvig dyb
Sun Jul 11 03:03:17 EDT 2004

> I think that it's this committee's job to figure out the language that
> could be used for a SCPAN repository --- that is, a language for
> sharing code that reliably runs in multiple implementations.

I understood both of your proposals to be addressing all R6RS programs,
not just code destined for a CPAN-like library.  I don't recall either
of you mentioning that we were addressing libraries, and Mike's proposal
specifically addresses applications.

In any case, the point is that if we determine that it's necessary
for some reason (not presently clear to me) to restrict the form of a
library to a single top-level module, that doesn't necessarily stop us
from permitting portable applications to use arbitrary top-level forms,
multiple modules, etc.  Perl applications certainly don't all follow
the same conventions as CPAN modules.

> Meanwhile, if it doesn't matter whether PLT supports R6RS for its
> interpreter, environment, compiler, and executable generator, then I'm
> even more out of place than I thought.

I apologize for being unclear.  I was thinking of auxiliary tools,
not your evaluator.  Of course your conforming evaluator must run any
conforming program, but it's up to you whether any of your other tools
require a more stylized input.