[R6RS] End of file object

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Mar 29 16:46:36 EST 2006

>From SRFI 81, as quoted by Mike:
> In R5RS, the distinct type of end of file objects is primarily
> for the benefit of read, where end of file must be denoted by an
> object that read cannot normally return as a result of parsing
> the input. However, it does not seem necessary to drag in the
> complications of this separate object into the other I/O
> operations, where #f is perfectly adequate to represent end of
> file.

In other words, #f can be used to indicate end of file
for some but not all input operations, whereas an end
of file object could be used for all input operations.

I prefer the uniformity of using the same mechanism to
indicate end of file for all input operations.

Mike wrote:
> Alternatively, I cringe every time I type:
>
> (let ((thing (read-char p)))
>   (if (eof-object? thing)
>       ...))
>
> and would rather type:
>
> (cond
>   ((read-char p)
>    => (lambda (ch)
>         ...))
>   (else ...))

Mike's cringing could be ameliorated by a slight extension
to cond (untested but trivial):

(define-syntax cond
  (syntax-rules (else => eof=>)          ; extension
    ((cond (else result1 result2 ...))
     (begin result1 result2 ...))
    ((cond (test => result))
     (let ((temp test))
       (if temp (result temp))))
    ((cond (test => result) clause1 clause2 ...)
     (let ((temp test))
       (if temp
           (result temp)
           (cond clause1 clause2 ...))))
    ; begin extension
    ((cond (test eof=> result))
     (let ((temp test))
       (if (not (eof-object? temp)) (result temp))))
    ((cond (test eof=> result) clause1 clause2 ...)
     (let ((temp test))
       (if (not (eof-object? temp))
           (result temp)
           (cond clause1 clause2 ...))))