[R6RS] syntax-case semantics

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Thu Mar 16 13:55:43 EST 2006

I said I was going to post something concise about the syntax-case
question.  It boils down to this:

SRFI 72's modified hygiene rule appears to address a real
hygiene-related issue.  If the R6RS syntax-case specification is not
going to address that issue, we should have a rationale for that.

I can speculate about some practical reasons for not adopting the rule,
such as backward compatibility, or lack of experience with the rule.
However, I have some concerns about such reasons.  I don't know if
there's any more technical rationale, and if there is, I'd like to know
more about it.

I'm mentioning this now because adopting the rule is likely to have
secondary consequences for the syntax-case proposal.  For example, it
seems that having QUASISYNTAX makes the modified rule's extra rigor more
palatable, but the previous R6RS syntax-case proposals have not included
QUASISYNTAX.  It might be a good idea to discuss this before a new
syntax-case proposal is written up.

Anton