[R6RS] SYNTAX-CASE

Matthew Flatt mflatt
Wed Apr 13 07:32:44 EDT 2005

At Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:40:14 +0200, Manuel Serrano wrote:
> When I have added added R5Rs macros to Bigloo I have looked at various
> implementations for DEFINE-SYNTAX and SYNTAX-RULE. [...]
> More surprisingly I have noticed that it was relatively easy to
> design relatively tricky patterns using ellipses that were confusing these
> implementations. That is, for this patterns the implementations I have tested
> were producing totally different results.

Just in case PLT version 205 or earlier was one of the implementations
that you tried, I note that we had it wrong before version 206. I think
it was consistent with R5RS's limited specification of ellipses (I'm
not positive), but it wasn't the same as other Scheme implementations.

Also FWIW, I think my failure to get ellipses right indicates a
relative lack of explanatory material on the topic, rather than a bad
design. Defining/clarifying the meaning of nested ellipses seems like a
perfect job for the R6RS editors.

Matthew