[R6RS] modules?

Michael Sperber sperber
Sat May 22 11:33:04 EDT 2004

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> writes:

Matthew> With multiple modules in one file, you need a way to refer to each
Matthew> particular module within a file.

That seems trivial.  Where previously, MzScheme says

(lib "foo" "bar" "baz.ss")

you say

(lib "foo" "bar" "baz.ss" baz)

to refer to the one module that's there.  If there are others, do

(lib "foo" "bar" "baz.ss" bla)

and so on.

Matthew> But filesystems already do a perfectly good job of handling
Matthew> hierarchy, so I favor multiple files within a directory,
Matthew> instead of multiple modules within a file.

I agree that filesystems do what they say.  However, the typical tools
we have (editors, DrScheme) for dealing with a module hierarchy this
way don't present the information in the way I'd prefer.

Matthew> I remain convinced that MzScheme's `module' is compatible with a
Matthew> low-overhead component system, but I can't point to an implementation.

Could you provide just the barest hint on how this would look like?
(Just enough for me to be confident it's possible.)