[R6RS] Mailing list

Marc Feeley feeley
Sat Jan 24 09:18:11 EST 2004

Manuel Serrano wrote:

> > If the archive is to become world-readable eventually, why not make it
> > world-readable from the start?
> Actually, I don't see the interest of making the archive public. When you
> publish a paper you don't publish snapshots of the blackboard you were
> using. Could you tell me why you think that it's important to make the archive
> public ?

For me it is a question of transparency.  We have nothing to hide (I
think) so why should we hide the discussion?  It can be useful
information for future RnRSs or for historical reasons.  I believe we
are acting for the benefit of the Scheme community and consequently we
have a responsibility to be open.  The fact that the mailing list is
private during the design process is simply so that we can have a
disciplined discussion with minimal interruptions.

Marc