[R6RS] R6RS = Common Scheme?

Michael Sperber sperber
Tue Jan 20 14:12:51 EST 2004

Marc> I think we can start talking about a set of filesystem
Marc> operations that will eventually form the filesystem library.

Sure.

The hard part about this is not the functionality but the abstractions
for filenames.  The abstractions I've looked at (Java, Common Lisp,
MzScheme, Emacs Lisp, scsh, and Scheme 48) are all pretty ad-hoc, as
they don't really abstract over the underlying string representation.
However, this aspect is crucial to a good design, as the typical
string representations of Unix-like systems has many very unpleasant
and unexpected properties.

I guess the only way to get something usable is to assume the presence
of a hierarchical filesystem.  (Even though I keep hoping hierarchical
filesystems will be among the first things against the wall when the
revolution comes.)

I once had a student elaborate an idea of mine where filenames were
abstract.  The system would distinguish between absolute filenames and
relative filenames; a relative filename is essentially a mapping from
one absolute filename to another.  The design worked out pretty well,
but there's not a great deal of practical experience with it.  It's
radically different from everything I've seen anywhere else.

Do we want to tackle this issue?