[R6RS] Mailing list

Michael Sperber sperber
Mon Jan 19 15:28:59 EST 2004

Marc> At this point, only the editors can post to the list and read the
Marc> archive.  When our job is done and R6RS is finalized I think the
Marc> archive should become public

While it's probably your privilege to handle things this way, I'd like
to point out that many posts to scheme-strategy@ indicated a
willingness to conduct the R6RS process in a more open and inclusive
way.  On scheme-strategy@, as far as I remember, nobody ever suggested
a closed process like the one you're about to run.  (I don't know much
about what transpired at the workshop as far as this question is
concerned.)

I don't know how everyone else here feels about this.

Marc> so that the reasons for the design decisions are as clear as
Marc> possible.

I'm not sure that a mailing list archive can do this.  The
rrrs-authors archive does this for some questions, but not for many
others.  It seems that, to be clear, the reasons for the design
descisions---if they aren't part of the R6RS document itself---should
be identified as clearly as possible elsewhere.  It's probably not
necessary for unanimous decisions.  However, when there's dissent, it
might make sense to have a consenting and a dissenting opinion
specially written up.