[R6RS] Library / filesystem mapping

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Sat May 19 12:07:26 EDT 2007

Michael Sperber wrote:
> Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> writes:
>

>>Yes, but it seems to me that if we're going so far as to specify a file
>>hierarchy format, then recommending a common way to package that for
>>portable distribution wouldn't be a bad idea.  You think the UTF-8 text
>>file is sufficient?
>

> Yes.  All the required meta-information about where it's stored is in
> the library form.

OK.  There's at least one use case this doesn't satisfy, which is being
able to download a library package and use a standard,
non-implementation-specific tool (like unzip or tar/gzip) to unpackage
it into its "proper" hierarchy.

I realize that implementations will have to support unpacking the text
file packages anyway, but I'm a fan of leveraging standard tools.  Of
course, big text files are standard, but maybe not as useful.

However, a convention for this can be added later, so I'm willing to
drop this unless anyone else has a strong opinion to the contrary.

Anton