[R6RS] Library / filesystem mapping

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Fri May 18 04:17:06 EDT 2007

Some questions and/or notices about the library / filesystem mapping
(for the non-normative appendix):

1. In order to support the distribution of portable libraries, since
<library name>s don't contain filenames, I assume that the document
should recommend a standard file extension which will be used to
construct a filename from a library name.  Are there any preferences
about whether the extension should, or shouldn't, be ".scm", ".ss", or
something else?

2. It makes sense for the version number to be at or near the top of the
file hierarchy for a library, so that beneath each version number is a
tree containing only source for a single version.  I'm going with a
hierarchy beginning with "6/rnrs/...".  If anyone thinks it should be
"rnrs/6/...", or something else, please let me know.

3. I'm assuming that sub-version numbers should be encoded in the
filesystem using the typical period-separated approach, so that a
<version> of (3 4 5) would be contained in a directory named "3.4.5".
Whisper politely if you disagree; I haven't really thought through the
impact of this on version number matching yet.

4. Libraries whose names contain certain special characters, such as
slashes, may need to have their filenames encoded.  An example is (rnrs
i/o simple (6)).  Of course, it's possible to cheat and use
"6/rnrs/i/o/simple", but I'm guessing that won't go over well.  However,
anything else seems likely to be icky, I'm open to suggestions.

Anton