[R6RS] proposed conversions between strings and bytevectors

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Fri May 11 11:08:51 EDT 2007

Sorry, I forgot to say this in my previous notes.

Mike wrote:
> I don't understand this sentence.  It sounds as though the procedure
> might pay attention to the BOM.  However, the reference implementation
> seems to assume UTF-16BE, which would be consistent with
> `string->utf16'.

There is, as yet, no reference implementation of
utf16->string.  The code I included with my message
of 23 March 2007 is exemplary and untested, and was
included at Kent's request.  I think Kent was under
the impression that these procedures were trivial
to implement using the textual i/o system, but they
are not.

I apologize for forgetting to implement the Unicode
semantics of the UTF-16 encoding scheme in my
quick-and-dirty implementation of utf16->string.
That's a bug, not a feature.