[R6RS] [r6rs-discuss] Errors in 9.1

R. Kent Dybvig dyb at cs.indiana.edu
Tue Jun 26 23:18:56 EDT 2007

I've moved this to the editors (public) mailing list.  I agree with
Andre that this is confusing and should be fixed, although I didn't
realize it was confusing until he tripped over it.

I suggest that base.tex contain "proto" entries for each of the auxiliary
keywords exported by the base library, something like this for unquote
and unquote-splicing:

\begin{entry}{
\proto{unquote}{ \hyper{expression} \dotsfoo}{\exprtype}}
\proto{unquote-splicing}{ \hyper{expression} \dotsfoo}{\exprtype}}

These forms may appear only within a {\cf quasiquote} form.
It is a syntax violation for either to appear in any other expression
context.
\end{entry}

or perhaps better:

\begin{entry}{
\pproto{unquote}{\literaltype}}
\pproto{unquote-splicing}{\literaltype}}
\mainschindex{unquote}\mainschindex{unquote}

These keywords may appear only within a {\cf quasiquote} form.
It is a syntax violation for either to appear in any other expression
context.
\end{entry}

where \literaltype is a new marker that identifies how these things as
literals or (my preference) auxiliary keywords.

I don't know if I'm using pproto correctly, but I'm sure Mike can
correct it.

In addition to unquote and unquote-splicing, we'd need entries for
else, =>, ..., and _.

The syntax-case library would need to have similar entries for unsyntax
and unsyntax-splicing, and the records library would need to have similar
entries for the various auxiliary keywords of the define-record-type
form.

We can then remove the offending statement from Section 9.1.

Thoughts?

Kent

--------