[R6RS] incomplete draft of revised i/o

R. Kent Dybvig dyb at cs.indiana.edu
Thu Jan 18 23:44:16 EST 2007

> file-options
> ============
>
> It seems to me that (file-options) is the wrong default
> when you open an output file.  I added a sentence that
> says this, but it would be better to fix the problem.

I haven't seen a resolution for this, but I can't find your sentence
either.  Can you point out where it is?

I did find this under the file-options description:

  The file-options object returned by {\cf (file-options)} specifies,
  when supplied to an operation opening a file for output, that the file
  must exist (otherwise an exception with condition type
  {\cf\&i/o-file-exists-not} is raised) and its data is unchanged by the
  operation.

This makes sense to me only if "opening a file for output" is replaced by
"opening a file for input".  For output, I think the default should be the
equivalent of specifying create and exclusive.  For input+output, I think
the default should be the equivalent of specifying create.  We can deal
with this after 5.92 is released, however.