[R6RS] Final expression in programs

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Jan 18 14:02:17 EST 2007

Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> writes:

> In the absence of a response, I was considering adding back language
> to support exit values using the final expression, but not
> constraining their type to be integer and saying that the results are
> platform-specific.  If someone needs to throw an exit value from the
> middle of a program, they'd have to wrap it in an exception handler.

But this use of exit values seems to be a platform-specific issue to
start with, precisely the kind of thing we wanted to scrap from the
report itself.  There's no problem adding it to appendix.

Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> writes:

> I'm not convinced that a special condition type to support two types
> of exit value is justified at this point (since its purpose at present
> seems to boil down to being able to write programs that are portable
> between Plan 9 and everything else), and we didn't ever discuss it.

Maybe so, but people on that discussion also thought that usings
exceptions generally to indicate success or failure in some manner was
better than using the final value.