[R6RS] Final expression in programs

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Thu Jan 18 13:54:17 EST 2007

Michael Sperber wrote:
> This doesn't seem to make sense anymore.  (Even with scripts, a number
> of people disliked the treatment of the final value.)  Therefore, I've
> deleted it.  Yell if you object.

There's currently no specification of exit values at all, even for
scripts.  This should probably be corrected.  I posted about this on
Tuesday:

   https://r6rs.scheming.org/node/556

In the absence of a response, I was considering adding back language to
support exit values using the final expression, but not constraining
their type to be integer and saying that the results are
platform-specific.  If someone needs to throw an exit value from the
middle of a program, they'd have to wrap it in an exception handler.

I'm not convinced that a special condition type to support two types of
exit value is justified at this point (since its purpose at present
seems to boil down to being able to write programs that are portable
between Plan 9 and everything else), and we didn't ever discuss it.

Anton