[R6RS] incomplete draft of revised i/o

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jan 18 08:29:42 EST 2007

Immediately after I sent my last message, I thought
of an interpretation of Mike's statement in which he
might have been trying to say something that is true,
but misspoke.  Again, Mike quoting me:

> > I added a magical mystery proc to every port.  This
> > magical mystery proc makes it possible to implement
> > string ports as custom ports (which was essentially
> > impossible in the 5.91 draft and in SRFI-81),
>
> It is indeed essentially impossible in the 5.91 draft, but it is
> possible in SRFI 81 (in a straightforward manner, as the reference
> implementation shows), because the set of procedures operating on
> these ports is different in SRFI 81.

It could be that Mike is trying to say that SRFI-81
was powerful enough to implement string ports as
they were specified in SRFI-81, but is not claiming
that SRFI-81 was powerful enough to implement string
ports as they are specified in 5.91 and 5.92.

If that is what Mike was trying to say, then what
he was trying to say may be correct.  I stand by my
previous assertion that SRFI-81 is not powerful
enough to implement string ports (as specified in
5.91 and in the current draft) as custom ports.