[R6RS] incomplete draft of revised i/o

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Jan 18 05:43:31 EST 2007

William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> Several of the prototypes extend too far to the right.
> It would be easier for the project editor to fix this
> than for me to figure out how to fix it.

Done.

> port-magic
> ==========
>
> I added a magical mystery proc to every port.  This
> magical mystery proc makes it possible to implement
> string ports as custom ports (which was essentially
> impossible in the 5.91 draft and in SRFI-81),

It is indeed essentially impossible in the 5.91 draft, but it is
possible in SRFI 81 (in a straightforward manner, as the reference
implementation shows), because the set of procedures operating on
these ports is different in SRFI 81.  When we added the
`get-output-xxx' procedures for R6RS, I pointed this out.  Recent
communication with Will indicated to me that I wasn't very clear
explaining the issues back then: I apologize for that.

> I would like to remove the magical mystery proc from the i/o
> chapter, and I hope the other editors will agree to that removal.

I don't.