[R6RS] file-exists? and delete-file

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Apr 8 20:51:55 EDT 2007

Kent wrote:
> What are file-exists? and delete-file intended to do when the argument
> names a directory?  I suspect delete-file should probably refuse to
> delete the directory, but should file-exists? return #t or #f?

I hope the R6RS won't try to impose a semantics in those
cases.  In particular, I hope the R6RS will not require
an exception to be raised if the argument to file-exists?
names a directory instead of a file.

> What about symbolic links and other kinds of files?

It seems to me that the purpose of a symbolic link is
to behave as though the file were actually present, so
I would like to be allowed to implement file-exists?
so it returns true for symbolic links and to implement
delete-file so it removes symbolic links.  Again, I
think the right thing for the R6RS to do about this is
to remain silent.