[R6RS] Boolean or boolean

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Apr 7 01:07:40 EDT 2007

Kent wrote:
>   1. should we capitalize boolean as ticket 216 suggests?

No.  The word is usually capitalized when used as
an adjective, e.g. Boolean logic, but not so much
when used as a noun, and especially not when used
as the name of a data type in a programming language
unless the language capitalizes the names of all
(or all basic) types.  See e.g.
http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/boolean.html
http://cristal.inria.fr/ICFP2001/prog-contest/task.html
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/icfp/task.htm
http://www.lfcs.inf.ed.ac.uk/software/polyml/docs/Basis2.html
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa691320(vs.71).aspx
http://phpro.org/en/language.types.boolean.html

>   2. if we do capitalize boolean, should we rename boolean? to Boolean?

Yes.  If the data type is capitalized, then the
adjective that distinguishes elements of that data
type should also be capitalized.