[R6RS] issue straw poll

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Oct 22 04:55:24 EDT 2006

What's missing is the whole "unspecified value" discussion, which ties
in to issues related to multiple values.  There's no ticket yet, but
it's one of the bigger issues.

dyb at cs.indiana.edu writes:

> 6  Applicable record instances
>    Should we add them?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 7  Additional LAZY primitive for delayed evaluation
>    Should we add it?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 9  backslash-linefeed
>    Should we allow <intraline whitespace> between the \ and <linefeed>
>      in \<linefeed><intraline whitespace>?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
(But larger issue here.)

> 10 #;<datum> comments useless
>    Should we flush?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 11 NaN is not a real number
>    Should we make (real? <any NaN>) #f?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 12 R6RS library syntax should include a standard format for importing SRFI libraries
>    Should we do this?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
(But should think about what the standard format would be,
and make sure it's expressible.)

> 14 <hex scalar value> should allow only 6 digits
>    Should we limit to 6 digits?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
Y (if we don't eliminate the restriction)
>    Should we eliminate restriction on number of digits?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 17 "An exception might be raised" considered confusing
>    Change to "An exception should not be raised"?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
(But the report generally needs to be revised according to the MUSTard RFC,
which I intend to do.)

> 18 String exit codes should be allowed
>    Should we allow them?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 22 U+0085 is whitespace
>    Should we make U+0085 whitespace?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 25 "forall" and "exists" should use SRFI-1 equivalents
>    Should we rename?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 26 Map and for-each should work even if lists are of unequal length
>    Should we make this change?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 27 Some generic arithmetic procedures should be put in a library
>    Should we do this?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 36 Ambiguous call/cc-behaviour of list operations
>    Should we make the benavior unambiguous?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 38 Position-significance of declarations in scripts
>    Should we allow them only at the front of a script body?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 39 Script-body differences
>    Should we make script bodies like library/lambda bodies?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
>    Should we make library/lambda bodies like script bodies?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 40 Exactness is orthogonal to type
>    Should we eliminate statement that exactness is orthogonal to type?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
>    Should we eliminate sections 16.5 "exact arithmetic" and 16.6 "inexact arithmetic"
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 42 Requirement to detect circular lists
>    Should we eliminate this requirement?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
(Much larger issue here.)

> 45 last-element behavior of for-each
>    Specify return value of for-each to be the unspecified value?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 46 LF should not be the only line separator
>    Specify larger set of line separators?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 47 Add (sort) and (vector-sort!) procedures
>    Should we add them?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 49 Higher-order procedures should not interfere with exceptions
>    Should we prohibit this "interference"?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 51 Conflating programs and scripts
>    Add a separate notion of program?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
>    Remove <script header> from scripts?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 52 Exact-Integer and Real (and Complex) are more useful distinctions than Exact and Inexact
>    Adopt SRFI-94 and flush 16.5 "exact arithmetic" and 16.6 "inexact arithmetic"?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):

> 58 only 'big' and 'little' as endiannness may not be enough
>    Should we add others or allow extensions?
>    yes/maybe/no (Y/M/N):
Y (allow extensions)