[R6RS] Split the report?

dyb at cs.indiana.edu dyb at cs.indiana.edu
Tue Nov 7 10:22:59 EST 2006

> I'd appreciate if we could have a bit of discussion on splitting the
> report on the list.  Most people in my vicinity have expressed a
> strong preference for a split, specifically Jonathan Rees, Richard
> Kelsey, Martin Gasbichler.  On the discuss list, John Cowan has also
> expressed a wish for this.  On LtU, I've seen Barak Pearlmutter write
> to the same effect.  My impression is that may others feel the same
> way.  Except for Kent, I've had nobody really a express a wish to keep
> the document as one.

We need to be cautious about making decisions based on our perception of
public sentiment without taking some sort of poll.  For all we know, there
are a greater number of people who want to keep the report in one piece
but don't feel a need to say so because that's how it already is.

That said, I don't think we should feel obligated take polls on every
question.  Certainly, on paper-clip issues like the unspecified value and
whether the report has one staple or two, I think we can use our own best
judgement after hearing whatever input we get.  On more substantive
issues, we may wish to take polls, as long as we recognize that we may
need to go against the poll results on some issue for the good of the
language as a whole.

As for one staple or two, I don't really care, so if it would make some
people happier, let's go for it.