[R6RS] Unspecified question

dyb at cs.indiana.edu dyb at cs.indiana.edu
Sat May 13 21:51:39 EDT 2006

> There's also the initial values used by `make-vector' and
> `make-string'.  I suggest that these be the unspecified value and NUL,
> respectively.  Objection, anyone?

I'd prefer that the initial contents of a vector or string remain
unspecified if no fill argument is provided.  If we leave it unspecified,
an implementation may not have to touch the memory holding the contents of
of the vector or string, which is particularly desirable for applications
that employ large, sparse vectors or strings.

Programmers who aren't happy with their vector or string containing
arbitrary values initially are free to supply the fill argument.

The same goes for bytes objects.  I would like for the initial contents of
(make-bytes n) to be unspecified and to add (make-bytes n fill) to allow
the fill value to be specified.