[R6RS] Library syntax versioning

Matthew Flatt mflatt at cs.utah.edu
Wed May 10 22:50:15 EDT 2006

At Wed, 10 May 2006 16:35:48 -0400, dyb at cs.indiana.edu wrote:
> > It hardly matters what #!r6rs represents, but I further
> > propose that it be an external representation for the
> > canonical unspecified value we voted into existence last
> > week; that value has no external representation as yet,
> > so no one can say #!r6rs is redundant.
>
> So that people don't start writing #!r6rs when they want to return the
> unspecified value and implementations don't start printing #!r6rs for the
> unspecified value, I propose instead that read instead treat #!r6rs
> essentially like a comment, so that, e.g., a single call to read from a
> file containing
>
>   #!r6rs 17
>
> returns 17.

This general idea is ok with me.

But is it a bug or a feature that a file starting with "#!" could be
interpreted as a Unix script?

Might suspicious mail agents reject a R6RS Scheme file enclosure
because starts with "#!r6rs", on the grounds that it could be a
dangerous script? (I think I've had a message bounced back to me
because I enclosed a script, but I may misremember.)

Matthew