[R6RS] Library syntax versioning

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Wed May 10 12:35:05 EDT 2006

Mike, then me, then Mike:
> >> I'd like to suggest an alternative, namely making explicit the notion
> >> of a distribution format and going outside the traditional Scheme
> >> syntax to make it work.
> >
> > That would be fine with me, but it would not replace the need
> > for something that resembles a module mechanism in R6RS.  At
> > this late date, I think we're stuck with the library mechanism.
> > Fixing its problems is more important than adding a second
> > distribution mechanism.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this.  I wasn't suggesting we don't fix
> anything else about the library modules, just that this is one of the
> things that needs fixing.  (I wrote about a separate aspect that I
> think needs fixing earlier.)

You characterized the encoding of libraries as MIME messages
as an "alternative" to the <language> specification.  I don't
want to have to write my portable Scheme code as MIME messages,
however.  How is portable Scheme code supposed to specify the
report-revision=6 stuff without using the MIME encoding?