[R6RS] Re: omnibus vote tallies

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Wed May 3 12:18:04 EDT 2006

dyb at cs.indiana.edu wrote:
> I am changing my vote on
>
>   28: make () self-evaluating
>
> to abstain.  Mostly I want to make sure we all agree what this means.

I don't feel particularly strongly about this one.  In the absence of
any obvious benefit to e.g. writing portable code, I voted
conservatively, i.e. to keep the R5RS behavior.

However, afaik most Scheme implementations treat () as self-evaluating,
so perhaps there's no point to maintaining the fiction that it shouldn't
be.  I wondered if there's a guiding principle here, i.e. should the
R6RS standardize the things which are already de facto standards unless
there's a good reason not to?  If that were a principle, I'd switch my vote.