[R6RS] syntax-case semantics

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Mar 20 03:36:13 EST 2006

Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> writes:

> Presumably *any* notion of hygiene is only going to involve
> identifiers, not other kinds of literal values, so from that
> perspective, it seems unnecessary to wrap such literals,
> i.e. leaving them unwrapped is not ad-hoc.

Agreed, but macros aren't only about hygiene.

I'm not sure I buy this argument that opacity is primarily an
implementation concern.  How is the non-symbolness of identifiers not
primarily driven by implementation?  I know this is again naive, but
the recent discussions on c.l.s. have shown (again) it's a view some
people would like to hold---they don't understand why they can't just
use symbols.