[R6RS] SRFI 72 and syntax-case comparison

Matthew Flatt mflatt at cs.utah.edu
Fri Mar 17 11:25:48 EST 2006

At Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:09:42 -0500, Anton van Straaten wrote:
> OK, I know my name's not Matthew, but between one thing and another I
> spent some time looking at the SRFI 72 macro proposal.  I've written up
> a comparison to syntax-case and put it in Subversion at:
>
> draft/syntax/srfi72-comparison.html

Thanks, Anton!

The have only two things to add: a note on quasisyntax, and an opinion
on implementation.

Matthew

Quasisyntax
-----------

When a `syntax' form is inside an unquote for `quasisyntax', the
`syntax' form is treated as part of the `quasisyntax'. The SRFI is not
entirely clear on what "inside" means, though.

For example, in

 (quasisyntax ,(let-syntax ([m (lambda (stx)
                                 (bound-identifier=? (syntax x)
                                                     (syntax x)))])
                 (m)))

the two uses of `syntax' are lexically in the `quasisyntax' form, but
since they're in a macro transformer, they are not part of the
`quasisyntax' for the purpose of identifier generativity. The expansion
result is #f.

In contrast, in

 (quasisyntax ,(let-syntax ([m (lambda (stx)
                                 (syntax
                                  (bound-identifier=? (syntax x)
                                                      (syntax x))))])
                 (m)))

the two `syntax' forms are in the result of the expansion of `m', and
so they turn out to be part of the `quasisyntax', and the expansion
result is #t.

In summary, I think "inside" means "part of the macro expansion of an
unquoted expression".

This specification of "inside" has one surprising (to me) implication,
though. Given

 (define-syntax m
   (syntax-rules ()
     [(_) (bound-identifier=? (syntax x) (syntax x))]))

then

 (m)

expands to #f, but

 (quasisyntax ,(m))

expands to #t.

I haven't been able to construct a realistic example where this
sensitivity to quasisyntax matters, and my guess is that it probably
doesn't. I'm still uncomfortable, though. If we refer to SRFI-72's
"improved hygiene" as "meta-hygiene", maybe this is just a problem with
"meta-meta-hygiene"? Does "meta-meta-hygiene" matter less than
"meta-hygiene"?

Implementation
--------------

I think the implementation of SRFI-42 and syntax-case (with phases) is
mostly the same. The only difference seems to be that syntax-case adds
a mark to identifiers introduced by a macro transformer, whereas
SRFI-72 adds a mark to identifiers introduced by a `syntax' form.

Shifting the mark to `syntax' means that marks do not have to cancel;
i.e., the macro expander doesn't have to add a mark to a transformer's
input and then add the same mark to the transformer's output, detecting
introduced identifiers as those that don't have the mark twice. Since
marks don't have to cancel, they're probably a little simpler to
implement, and maybe there's a different optimal choice of data
structures for representing lexical information.