[R6RS] I/O

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Tue Jun 27 05:17:04 EDT 2006

>>Of course, these procedures could also be relegated to the R5RS
>>compatibility library, possibly one specific to R5RS I/O.
>

> That was my intention.

Thanks.  I've added an r5rs-i/o library to
draft/corelib/library-contents.html.

>>The SRFI raises the issue of 'display' being underspecified and
>>suggests a formatted output procedure be specified instead.  However,
>>if we're not tackling that for R6RS, then 'display' and 'newline'
>>probably also belong in the proposed library.
>

> I think a SRFI would be sufficient.  (And one exists already.)
> Moreove,r `newline' is problematic because we scratched #\newline.
> Also, I suspect, with the new I/O, `display' will mostly be used for
> debugging.

Still, specifying 'display' in the r5rs-i/o library shouldn't be too
difficult, since it doesn't need to be specified any better than the
version in r5rs, right?  Despite its shortcomings, there's quite a bit
of code out there that uses display.

Anton