[R6RS] I/O

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Tue Jun 27 04:50:00 EDT 2006

One issue which the Port I/O SRFI raises, which also affects the
core/library split, is the fate of R5RS procedures which support a
"current port".  The Port I/O SRFI redefines some of these procedures to
require a port argument, e.g. read-char, peek-char, and write-char.

The SRFI also suggests that SRFI-compliant equivalents of 'read' and
'write' be named 'read-datum' and 'write-datum'.  These would presumably
also require a port argument.

One way to continue to support the "current port" feature, if that's
considered desirable, would be to have another small I/O library, which
would contain the following procedures (more or less), all with the same
"current port" semantics as R5RS:

read		; conceptually implemented in terms of read-datum
write		; and write-datum in the port-i/o lib
current-input-port
current-output-port
with-input-from-file
with-output-to-file
display  	; see note below
newline

This library could be used on its own, or in conjunction with the
port-i/o library.  I've omitted default-port versions of
read|peek|write-char, because

Of course, these procedures could also be relegated to the R5RS
compatibility library, possibly one specific to R5RS I/O.

The SRFI raises the issue of 'display' being underspecified and suggests
a formatted output procedure be specified instead.  However, if we're
not tackling that for R6RS, then 'display' and 'newline' probably also
belong in the proposed library.

Thoughts?