[R6RS] Procedures that depend on Unicode character classification

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Jun 15 10:37:17 EDT 2006

William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

>> Is it really necessary to duplicate all that effort at this time?
>
> I didn't realize there was a reference implementation of
> those procedures.  Neither SRFI 75 nor the R6RS Subversion
> repository had one, and I thought I had asked about the
> availability of one in our last conference call and thought
> I heard that none was available outside of the code for
> specific systems such as Scheme48 and MzScheme.

That's true, but I did write the Scheme 48 code with an eye towards
portability (it relies on no Scheme-48-specific procedures, but does
use some SRFIs), and, given the effort I had to put into it, porting
it would seem to be much less work than doing it from scratch.

> Finally, as Matthew's assistant editor on the Unicode
> subsystem, I thought this would be a good way for me to
> learn a little about Unicode.

That's always a good motivation.

PS: Have you looked at the bytes proposal? :-)