[R6RS] Hashing questions

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jun 13 15:18:38 EDT 2006

A few questions:

I see the proposal has `equal-hash'.  Is there a special reason why
`eq-hash' and `eqv-hash' aren't provided?  Also, the Haskell folks use
a more primitive abstraction (called stable names) on top of which they
implement their equivalent of eq? hash tables.

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/peytonjones99stretching.html

(I'm sure there are earlier sources.  It's just what I could find most
easily.)

Would these make sense generally as a base abstraction to build eq?
hash tables or for R6RS?  I think someone mentioned that there were
efficiency concerns---if so could somebody hint at them briefly?