[R6RS] I/O

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jul 13 13:05:05 EDT 2006

Matthew wrote:
> >     1.  no character available at the moment; try again later
> > and
> >     2.  true end of file, forever and ever, amen.
>
> As I understand it, there is no way to detect #1 at all. The SRFI
> doesn't have any non-blocking operations.

I thought that also, until Mike said otherwise, but he
seems to have retracted that.  As it stands, I'll just
say that the current specification of read-string-all
is an example of how the promotion of Unix's weirdness
to R6RS weirdness can create unnecessarily strange and
ambiguous descriptions in the spec.

> > Ah, Eunichs.  Deficient by Design (service mark).
>
> Show me something that works better (i.e., something that people
> actually use).

Why?  Am I forbidden to mention Scheme's faults, just
because no other language is better?