[R6RS] `open-string-output-port' is the same as `open-bytes-output-port'

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Aug 27 08:26:11 EDT 2006

Michael Sperber <sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> dyb at cs.indiana.edu writes:
>>> Just a note to make sure everybody's aware of that.
>> This probably makes perfect sense, but can you please explain briefly why
>> this is (and should be) so?

I just realized I didn't answer your question.  That's just the nature
of how they work:  Both must accumulate everything written to the
port, which may include binary data.   That naturally makes them the
same.  We could tag them so that one will only support getting a
string out, and the other will only support getting a bytes object
out, but that restriction would be artificial.

Cheers =8-} Mike