[R6RS] Document endgame

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Aug 27 08:24:16 EDT 2006

William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> Mike wrote:
>> - The "ledge": Will, could you give a rough summary on what you think
>>   it would look like?
>
> Not too different from what I see in the current
> draft, whose organization looks better than I had
> remembered.  In particular, I would suggest putting
> the ledge before these things: [...]

OK, I reordered things in base.tex to better match that, albeit at a
fairly coarse granularity.  (I'd like to preserve its reference-manual
nature.)  Instead, I've taken up Kent's suggestion (or what I took him
to be saying) and written a very short language overview in the first
chapter that hopefully helps understand the rest when read in a mostly
linear fashion.  Comments welcome.

> I would suggest that that some of the introductory
> folderol on the numerical tower (currently section 6)
> be moved before the ledge.  In particular, the current
> draft of section 5.12 refers to exact and inexact numbers,
> flonums, IEEE-754 single and double precision, infinities,
> and NaNs, none of which are really motivated or explained
> until section 6.

Done.