[R6RS] naming convention for procedures

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Sun Aug 20 20:17:21 EDT 2006

I wrote:
> I notice that the "Entry format" section (3.1) does not list "proc" or
> "procedure" as a naming convention which implies a type restriction. I'm
> thinking it should.
>
> Currently, both "proc" and "procedure" are used for this purpose in
> different places - "procedure" most notably in arithmetic and hash
> tables.  R5RS used "proc" for e.g. map and for-each (and similarly
> didn't mention it in the "Entry format" section.
>
> I'm going with "proc" for the stuff I'm responsible for, until I hear
> otherwise.

P.S. I forgot that "if a parameter name is also the name of a type, then
the corresponding argument must be of the named type."  That would argue
for using "procedure".  Either way, it should probably still be listed
explicitly, if we're going to list other base type names.

(I notice that R5RS only listed names that were not the name of a type.)