[R6RS] Changing the transcoding mid-stream

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Aug 19 08:38:03 EDT 2006

Mike wrote:
> Indeed, "no transcoder" isn't the same as specifying a UTF-8
> transcoder, and the sentence you quoted is highly misleading.  Sorry
> about that.  As long as no transcoder is associated with the port,
> the various binary I/O procedures deal with the binary data without
> doing any interpretation of it as UTF-8.

Okay.  With that clarification, I agree that the proposal
can be used to perform what I mean by binary i/o.

There are at least seven places scattered throughout the current
draft of port-io-srfi.html where having no transcoder is alleged
to be equivalent to UTF-8 or to translate to UTF-8.  All of these
allegations should be corrected.

I also think the proposal needs a (no-codec) or (binary-codec)
procedure.  Without it, the two proposals we are considering
for allowing a port that was opened with one transcoding tc0
to be read or written with another transcoding tc1 would allow
tc1 to be the UTF-8 transcoding, but would not allow tc1 to be
the default ("no", "binary") transcoding.

> Even a
>
> (transcoder (eol-style (eol-style crlf)))
>
> would only ever look for #x0a and #x0d bytes and translate those,
> ignoring the rest.

I think a lot of programmers are likely to make the
mistakes I made in reading these specifications, so
I think it would be a good idea to add a note warning
that the end-of-line translations are performed even
for procedures such as read-u8 and write-u8.

> No, but there's `open-bytes-input-port', and that does.

Sorry, I missed that.