[R6RS] Changing the transcoding mid-stream

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Aug 18 08:21:50 EDT 2006

Mike wrote:

>> No, that wasn't the intention.  From the spec:
> >
> > Mike, please give us an example of how a Scheme program
> > is supposed to perform binary input and output using=20
> > the proposed i/o system.
>
> There are examples at the end of the SRFI.  However, it sounds as
> though you want an example to illustrate some specific point.  How
> about you give me a hint on what that point is?

None of the examples at the end of the SRFI are alleged
to perform binary i/o.  The ones that appear to perform
binary i/o use the procedures that, according to you,
were not intended for binary i/o.

What I need is a clear statement of exactly how one is
supposed to perform binary i/o, especially binary i/o
mixed with textual i/o (which is alleged to be a feature
of that SRFI), in spite of the fact that the procedures
that I thought were supposed to perform binary i/o do not
actually do so.