[R6RS] Scripts and toplevel code

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Aug 18 01:42:09 EDT 2006

Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> writes:

> Michael Sperber wrote:
>> Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> writes:
>>

>>>Because with other kinds of code, it's possible to use 'import' and
>>>access the definitions exported by that code.  It seems fairly unusual
>>>to me to have a class of code that has no defined way of being
>>>accessed programmatically from within the language, short of spawning
>>>a shell.
>>

>> Whatever the highest level is from where you can import the other
>> stuff, you're going to have the problem that it's not clear how to get
>> code *there*.  Suppose you have a "load-script" procedure or
>> "import-script" clause or something---you still don't know how to run
>> the code that uses it.
>
> I'm not sure I understand -- are you saying that without a defined
> entry point, or some other protocol for executing a script, just being
> able to load scripts isn't enough (depending on what "load" means)?

No, I'm saying that the top-level "way of running" any program,
whatever it is, will be implementation-specific, and therefore can't
itself be subject be to programmatic access.  You seem to be
complaining that there's an entity specified in the report that can't
be accessed programmatically from within a program.  Let's say you
provide a method to access it programmatically from within the
program.  You still haven't provided a way to programmatically from
outside the program, so you have to provide *that*.  Bingo, you again
have an entity that you can't access from within the program, unless
you provide it, and so on.