[R6RS] Changing the transcoding mid-stream

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Aug 17 14:13:31 EDT 2006

William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> I'm way confused by this.  I thought the above procedures
> were supposed to perform binary input, independent of the
> transcoder.

No, that wasn't the intention.  From the spec:

>> A transcoder is an opaque object encapsulating a specific
>> translation from byte sequences to byte sequences. For an input
>> port, the transcoder translates the actual input to produce the
>> input actually seen by the various get-... procedures. For an output
>> port, the transcoder translates the data supplied to the various
>> put-... procedures to produce the actual output.

I see that the first four words of the "Text transcoders" section
("Text transcoders Text transcoders") are misleading.

Note that there's no restriction of the get-... and put-... procedures
to those performing textual I/O.  The general idea behind this is that
you could have transcoders that do something other than handling text
such as compression or SSL or whatever.